IRS Summertime Tax Tip 2011-04, July 13, 2011


If you need to resolve a tax problem, have tax law questions, or you’re more comfortable talking with someone face-to-face, call or visit your local IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center (TAC) where you can spread out your records and talk with an IRS representative across the counter. No appointment is necessary, just walk in or call to take advantage of any of these services:
  • Understanding a notice or letter you received and need face-to-face assistance, or telephone help  to understand what's next
  • Multilingual assistance takes away language barriers either in person, or over the phone with bilingual interpreters 
  • Making payments are accepted at your local IRS TAC. Just be sure you know tax period and type of tax for the payment you are making; and be sure to bring any IRS notice you received about it.
  • Free preparation of federal tax returns for Earned Income Tax Credit or whose income is less than $49,000 - on the current and prior year - basic tax returns
  • Apply for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) If you are not eligible for a Social Security number but need to file a tax return, bring the completed tax return, Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Identification Number, and certified identification documents to your local TAC to apply for your ITIN and file your return. For more information, see Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.
  • Alien Clearances Before leaving the United States, most aliens must obtain a certificate of tax compliance. This document, also popularly known as the sailing or departure permit, must be secured from the IRS before leaving the U.S. You can get the permit from your local TAC. For more information, see Publication 513, Tax Information for Visitors to the United States.
  • Tax Return and Tax Account Transcripts Do you need a copy of your tax return for financial aid or to obtain a mortgage? If so, a tax return or tax account transcript generally meet the requirements of these lending institutions. Visit your local TAC for free transcripts, typically available for the current and past three years.
For TAC locations, business hours and an overview of services, click here, or visit   Just go to the “Individuals” tab and click on ”Contact My Local Office” in the left tool bar section under IRS Resources.

Related Links:
Contact My Local Office

Publication 513 Tax Information for Visitors to the United States
Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens
Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Identification Number


Leave a Reply

Presidential Speeches

Credit Reports


Never miss an update!

My recent additions